Jet Magazine – September 25, 1952

20 Jan

I can’t say that I am surprised that the Black schools were closed so that the children could help pick cotton.

Jet Magazine September 25, 1952

Jet Magazine September 25, 1952

More telling is the line describing the schools that stayed open because those children’s parents were involved in industry, business, or domestic work jobs.

A few of the schools that would have closed are

Booker T. Washington High School

Melrose High School

Manassas High School

Douglass High School

I hope to find more documentation of the other Blacks schools of this time that would have closed due to King Cotton.

Soruce: Jet Magazine September 25, 1952

7 Responses to “Jet Magazine – September 25, 1952”

1. MsGault February 1, 2013 at 11:14 pm #

Thx for sharing this information about Lauderdale & Haywood Cty.

My ex husband’s family is from there, surname: Noel, if you can find anything.
    His father is a Whitelaw & his mother is a Noel.
    Grandfather (maternal) recently passed: William Edward Noel.

My mother’s family is from Tilting/Haywood Cty.

• MsGault February 1, 2013 at 11:23 pm #

Typo, Tipton / Haywood Cty. a small community by the name of,”Fredonia”, which is a part of the small town, “Stanton”.

From my understanding, Lauderdale became a cty using parts of already established counties: Tipton, Dyer, Haywood (based on where the river ended).

I’m not sure when this cty was created.
      Also parts of Haywood cty use to be a part of Tipton cty. Somewhere along Keeling, Mason area.

My mom & some of her siblings went to school in Tipton cty when they were very young.

I am also in search of information about an all black school, “Douglas”, which was for blacks in the Stanton, Dancyville, Douglas area.

But I’m having a hard time finding info on the school & I know it’s real! Lol, I spent 4 1/2 yrs there in the early ’80s before they closed it.

Smh. Yes, 1980’s & segregated schools with handed down books. The stories, lol.

Thx again,
      Ms. Gault
      Austin, TX by way of Memphis, TN, from Augusta, GA (:

• Jonsey July 10, 2014 at 5:53 pm #

MsGault I was delightfully surprised to find your post regarding Douglass Elementary School (I just checked my old report cards to confirm the spelling… lol).

The school was indeed a real place. I attended for 8 years in the 70’s.
      As a matter of fact, some of the buildings (unfortunately, not the original school house) still stand and have been made into a community center. I took my kids to see it about 3 or 4years ago.

I started the page for Douglass Elementary on the Classmates.com website. I guess they could not locate tinylittle ole Stanton on the map so I believe it’s listed under Brownsville, TN.
      Some of the people who have signed up attended the school before I did. They may be familiar with more of the history of the school.

From what I understand, there will be a reunion in August for alumni and former students. If you would like to attend, let me know and I will forward you the information.

• Tiffany July 10, 2014 at 6:13 pm #

Thanks for commenting! That’s great that the school is having a reunion. If you send me the info to Tiffany@blackripley.com I will post it on the site in case there are others who would like to attend.

2. MsGault February 1, 2013 at 11:24 pm #

You’re awesome!

xo,
    Ms. Gault

• Tiffany February 10, 2013 at 5:38 pm #

Hi Ms. Gault. Thanks for commenting. I may know someone who can provide us with more information on the school you are looking for. If I am able to get more information I will be sure to post it to the site. If you have any more information on the school that you would like to contribute, please let me know and I will be happy to post it.

• Ms. Gault February 23, 2014 at 5:45 pm #

Thx. Wow. I can’t believe it’s been a yr already. Time is flying, lol.

xoxo