Black Doctors in Lauderdale County, TN

22 Feb

While doing my usual research on the area I came across what is described as a list of “Negro Physicians of the County”. This list is included in the book titled “Lauderdale County in its Earliest Times” by Kate Johnson Peters published in 1957. The Black doctors of the area are listed as follows,

Williams

Dickey

Morgan

Clay

Coleman

Walker

I guess Kate was too busy to find out their first names? If you have been a reader of my blog for awhile then you know that the doctor named Clay in the book is actually S.R. Clay who was born a slave and was a graduate of Meharry Medical College in Nashville. I did a quick search and discovered the following about our Black doctors.

Dickey is the last name of John A. Dickey who is 1930 was married to Alhome (sp?) Dickey and who had a daughter named Gussie Dickey. They made their home on Church Street.

I hope to do more research to find out who the additional doctors were.

Source:  “Lauderdale County in its Earliest Times” by Kate Johnson Peters

6 Responses to “Black Doctors in Lauderdale County, TN”

1. AAshton March 21, 2013 at 9:07 pm #

Simon R. Clay’s home was left by his last daughter to the Clay & Ashton family of Lauderdale County. My husband grew up in that house. Dr. Clay was born in Haywood County and Dr. Clay’s sister was Magellan Taylor who lived in Ripley.

• Tiffany March 22, 2013 at 3:47 pm #

Thanks for posting. Is that house still standing? I am related to some Clays in Ripley, so I’ve been trying to make a connection between them and SR Clay and actually every Clay who is currently buried in Canfield.

• B. J April 25, 2013 at 2:19 am #

Doc Coleman, practice out of Halls. He gave me a basketball physical in 1962 when I played ball for Halls Consolidated High School. Doc Walker also may have been from Halls I heard people talk of him

• Tiffany April 25, 2013 at 10:12 am #

Thanks for commenting. I haven’t done much further research into the lives of these doctors. You mention Halls Consolidated High School and 1962. Due to the year I am assuming this was a school just for Blacks. Do you happen to know if this school was also called Halls Triangle School? I’ve been looking for more information on it.

2. Tony Garrison Gaines January 10, 2016 at 10:17 am #

I am working only my family tree; therefore, I need information on my ancesters. The Malone and Anderson families which resided in Haywood county; the Garrison and Cooper families who lived in Lauderdale county. I do know that my great, great, great grandmother, Adaline Curry(Currie), was from Ashville North Carolina. Also, she was married to Green Garrison. I search the records in Ripley and found Adaline Garrison and hers children. Unfortunately, I was unable to discover anything on Green Garrison her husband. Through word of mouth, someone told me of a Garrison living in Haywood county during the early 1900’s. I would like know the geological origin of the Anderson’s, Malone’s, Cooper’s and the Currie’s homes existed. I surely hope you will be able to assist me in finding my beloved family.

• Paulette Cogshell March 7, 2016 at 7:06 pm #

Hi, Tony, my great great great grandmother name is Adaline Curtis. Adaline father name is Moses Curtis and her mother name is Judith “Judy ” Jones. She was married to my great great great grandfather Green Garrison. Me and Brian Bonner both have created a familytree on ancestry.com. Adaline daughter Kate Garrison Roberson is my paternal great-grandmother. I’m looking forward to hearing from you soon.