Scenes from Canfield Cemetery

22 Jun

Canfield was the cemetery used by African Americans in Ripley, TN. Below are a few photos I took on my last visit. It looks to be in average shape for an older cemetery with a few recent burials.

Canfield

Canfield

Mary J and Ervin Dark

Mary J and Ervin Dark

Samuel Halfacre

Samuel Halfacre

Arch and Ester Henning

Arch and Ester Henning

Laura and Will GIldon

Laura and Will GIldon

Chaney Jeroe

Chaney Jeroe

– Photo Sources: My Own

8 Responses to “Scenes from Canfield Cemetery”

1. William Carson November 17, 2013 at 9:23 pm #

Gildon headstone is of my 2nd Great Grandparents. I’m related to Halfacre and Chaney Jeroe and the Cherry’s . My CLAY relatives ran the mortuary in Ripley

• Tiffany November 18, 2013 at 2:07 pm #

Thanks for commenting. If you have any info on the funeral home you would like to share, please feel free to do so. I’ve been trying to figure out where it was located exactly on College Street using maps and some oral history interviews.

• William Carson November 18, 2013 at 2:45 pm #

I sent pictures to your email of Clay’s Funeral Home

• Tiffany November 19, 2013 at 8:50 am #

Thanks for sharing William. Combining the pictures with the maps lets me see exactly where the funeral home was on College Street.

2. Michelle Stevens Jones February 1, 2015 at 11:34 pm #

Dear Tiffany:

I am a 7th generation descendant of Chaney Jeroe.
    My grandfather Myles Clay Stevens was born in Ripley, TN 1906..He was one of 5 children… He graduated from Lane College in ~1930 and University of Kansas Law School in 1935.

The Clay Funeral home– do you have more info on that???

Michelle Stevens Jones

• Tiffany February 2, 2015 at 12:02 pm #

Thanks for commenting. If you go to the search bar up at the top and search for Clay Funeral Home you can find what I’ve written on it and a picture that was sent in by someone of it. If you would like, maybe I can connect you with the gentleman who sent in the photo to see if he has more information than I have here? Feel free to email me at tiffany@blackripley.com. Also, Chaney Jeroe has such an interesting story. I’ve been looking for someone who knows more about her. If you have any info you would like to share, just send me an email and I will post it.

• Keal Carter August 21, 2015 at 9:24 am #

Hello, my name is Keal Carter. I was born and raised is Lauderdale County. Ervin and Mary Dark are my ancestors. Ervin is actually my great grandmother’s great uncle. His parents were named Jerry and Susie Dark. I believe they where from North Carolina. Ervin siblings are Nancy Dark Schoffner(my great grandmother’s grandmother) Joseph Dark, Belden Dark Graves, Alcie Dark. Ervin’s children are also buried at Canfield’s. I read a death certificate that puts my great grandmother’s mother there, her name is Susie Schoffner Campbell

• Tiffany August 26, 2015 at 5:57 pm #