Hudson and Graham Funeral Home

5 Apr

Below is an ad that I found for the Hudson and Graham Funeral Home that catered to African Americans. This ad was featured in the 1958 Haywood, Lauderdale, and Tipton County Directory.

Hudson and Graham Funeral Home

Hudson and Graham Funeral Home

It’s unclear who exactly Hudson and Graham are and because this is an ad for 1958 I am unable to turn to the census to do a quick search. Does anyone remember the Hudson and Graham Funeral Home or where it might have been located?

Source: Haywood, Lauderdale, and Tipton County Directory – 1958

19 Responses to “Hudson and Graham Funeral Home”

1. Annese Ashton April 7, 2014 at 1:06 am #

The Graham in “Hudson Graham” was Alexander Graham Jr. Originally from Haywood County, he was a first cousin to James Edward Ashton who died 1956 in Ripley. Alexander’s mother was Cherry Barbee.

2. Annese Ashton April 7, 2014 at 1:12 am #

The funeral home still operates in Dyersburg, TN as Hudson Funeral Home on Cheatham.

3. Annese Ashton April 7, 2014 at 3:08 am #

Correction to earlier post. Cherry Barbee was Alexander Graham Jr.’s grandmother. Cherry’s daughter Mariah Barbee was his mother who married Alexander Graham Sr.

• Tiffany April 9, 2014 at 7:06 pm #

Thanks for commenting. I had wondered if the Hudson Funeral Home in Dyersburg was somehow related to this one.

4. Sussian Taylor May 29, 2014 at 10:05 pm #

The Hudson & Graham Funeral Home was located in Ripley, Tn. on Barbee St off of Scott Dr.

• Tiffany June 11, 2014 at 9:26 pm #

Thanks for commenting. Looks like I need to make an update to the original article 🙂

5. Michael Fields May 26, 2016 at 10:51 pm #

I’m the great grandson of Alex Graham, he was my mother’s grandfather on her mom’s side. The funeral home was located downtown Ripley across from Thompson’s Mortuary. My grandfather left the funeral home to my uncle Harold T Owens. But he was ran out of town and the funeral home was closed when they had the riot of 69 if I’m not mistaken. He did put Mr. Henry Hudson through school for funeral director, and Mr. Hudson offered to do the same for me, because it was a promise he had made to my grandfather. But I declined his offer, but was most grateful. Thanks for everything, and keep up the good work.

• Tiffany June 3, 2016 at 7:37 pm #

Thanks for sharing your family’s story.

• Curtis Blanden October 19, 2016 at 4:36 pm #

My name is Curtis, my mother grew up in Lauderdale County (Ripley) and is trying to find information and photos. Do you have any photos of your great grandfather’s funeral home? She has told me countless stories of being scared to walk pass Mr. Alex Graham’s funeral home on Barbee Street or she calls it “Down in the Hole”

• Shay Ware November 28, 2016 at 1:56 pm #

HEllo, Mr. Blanden, my grandmother grew up in Lauderdale County (Ripley) and i’m trying to find information and photos. My hobby is working on my Ware Family history. If you could reply that would nice. so we could exchange notes. thanks

• Sandra Brown-Pitts January 18, 2017 at 5:20 am #

My grandparents the Malones was cousins to the Grahams on Barbee St,,they lived across the street from Grahams Funersl Home..after it closed they moved across the store next door to the Funeral Home..I never got a good nites sleep when we went there..the “Hole” was in downtown Ripley, we went there sometimes on Sat nite..it was the local hangout for the Blacks, and yes, there was a funeral home there too. Still trying to find the pic I had of the “Hole”

• Sandra Brown-Pitts January 30, 2017 at 11:53 pm #

Chris Blanden, I have a pic of “The Hole” in Ripley, but I don’t see how to post a picture.

• Tiffany February 1, 2017 at 9:14 am #

Hi Sandra, You can email the picture to tiffany@blackripley.com and I’ll post it for you.

• Curtis Blanden February 1, 2017 at 9:18 am #

You can email it the me at curtis.blanden@yahoo.com
        I pull live to share it with my mother an any other pictures you may have.

• Sandra Brown-Pitts January 18, 2017 at 5:14 am #

I am the great-great granddaughter of Francis Graham..she was born 1858…she died 1911

6. Shay Ware November 28, 2016 at 1:48 pm #

Mr Curtis Blanden, my Ware family lived in lauderdale county and i work on genealogy in my spare time. wondering if your mother knows any wares. please respond i would love to find out more info

• A Ashton December 10, 2016 at 1:15 pm #

I am also working on a Lewis Ware family whose daughter Florence Ware Wright Lee has some link to Cordelia Johnson Davis Clay Family of Ripley. Florence was born in Haywood County but moved to Lauderdale where she died in 1947.

• sharoxie tillman December 13, 2016 at 11:51 am #

Very Interesting A Ashton. I’ve ran into those names as well but havent linked them to my Ware family. You mentioned Cordelia Johnson and My family is Monroe Ware whom married Annie Johnson who both died in Lauderdale County, TN. Does those two names ring a bell?

• A Ashton December 20, 2016 at 6:36 pm #

I am not sure if these two Wares are related. Monroe and Anna appear to originate from near the Arkansas/ Tennessee line near Fulton. My set started out in Haywood and moved to Lauderdale. AA