Camp Shiloh – Memphis, TN

7 Mar

Camp Shiloh, also known as The Colored People’s Camp, in Memphis, TN was a contraband camp for runaway slaves during the Civil War. Camp Shiloh was located in South Memphis. It is thought that due to the camp being majority female that their spouses had enlisted in the United States Colored Troops and that some were stationed at nearby Ft. Pickering. Camp Shiloh had over 300 houses as well as schools and churches. In 1863 a list was taken of the former slaves living there. The list was known was the Register of Freedmen. On the list were the names of the slaves and their ages, their occupation, the names of their former owners, their health status, and where they were from. I scanned the list for the names of slaves from our area and some of that information is below. I have copied the names exactly as they were listed, so some names may be spelled incorrectly.

You can search for other names on this list by clicking the following link.

Ellen Buchanan 33

Angeline Noel 20

• Owned by Joseph Clay of Haywood County, TN

Caroline Olden 55, Amelia Olden 10, Isabel Olden 18, Nellie Olden 63

• Owned by Samuel Olden of Haywood County, TN

Ann Reed 24

• Owned by John Burton of Haywood County, TN

I became interested in the lives of these former slaves after the end of the Civil War. Did they stay in Memphis or did they return back to Haywood County? I found a few leads, such as an Albert Cox living in Haywood County in 1870 on the US Census, but of course there is no definite way to determine that this was the same Albert Cox who had been at the Shiloh Camp.

Sources: Register of Freedmen – http://www.lastroadtofreedom.com/documents/12.pdf

Information on TN Contraband Camps – http://tennesseeencyclopedia.net/entry.php?rec=305 and http://lastroadtofreedom.org/uploads/3/1/1/7/3117447/tennessee.pdf

6 Responses to “Camp Shiloh – Memphis, TN”

1. Kelly Johnson-Hills March 9, 2015 at 8:19 pm #

Thank you for all of your hard work Tiffany.

Kelly

• Tiffany March 13, 2015 at 6:46 pm #

Thanks for continuing to read.

2. AJ July 17, 2015 at 4:38 am #

I am now curious about Ann Reed of Haywood County…its my grandmother’s paternal family surname. Although it is common, I hope to possibly find a connection.

Thanks for posting this. I came across some newspaper abstracts while looking for the family which may have previously ‘owned’ my great great greats. I thought of your page and to post it here as I was surprised to find a robust number of slaves being listed/acknowledged by name in a newspaper.– almost like human beings.
    There seems to have been an outbreak of cholera, with many deaths:

I also noted in every case, they are referred to by a first name/one name only and “belonging to”, “slave of”,”negro child/woman/man” etc. are used to identify who they are currently owned by…
    The slaveholders surname is not bestowed upon them.

I wondered about whether or not the newly freed slaves understood they did not have to take on the surnames of former slaveholders.

• MsAtx September 19, 2015 at 5:11 pm #

To add … I wonder if some changed their surname for whatever reason

But like you, I’m also curious; Angeline Noel. My ex-husband’s & daughter’s surname.
      I have to keep in mind that Lauderdale, Haywood, Tipton & Dyer (I think), were changed for whatever political reasons during that time. I cannot remember the yr, but I do know some districts were subtracted & added elsewhere, causing a rift with school enrollment when changes were either altered or reversed.

+Tiffany thx so much for the postings!

• MsAtx September 19, 2015 at 5:21 pm #

I almost forgot to ask; do you think “Ann Reed” is related to the Reed’s located South of Memphis, in MS?
      I can’t recall the name of the town, but I know it’s not far from Horn Lake, MS/TN

I’ve always been curious about the surname, “Bobo” … either someone had no creative imagination, used the first ‘word’ they saw while on the rum, or was hooked on ‘phonetics’ … lol @ the latter 😀
      One must agree its “different”, regardless of its origin 🙂

3. B. J. Parker November 30, 2015 at 12:55 pm #

I was traveling on a rural road on Maryland’s Eastern Shore over the Thanksgiving weekend, on November 29, 2015, when I came across a road sign the read ” Shiloh Camp Rd.” just outside of the town of Hurlock, Md. I wonder if there is a connection?