Miles Chapel – Then and Now

23 Mar
Then - Miles Chapel (2013)

Then – Miles Chapel (2013)

Now - Miles Chapel (Feb 2016)

Now – Miles Chapel (Feb 2016)

Tiffany

Image Source – My Own

7 Responses to “Miles Chapel – Then and Now”

1. Jan Halliburton Edwards March 23, 2016 at 8:18 am #

Dear Tiffany,
    Thank you for posting the photo of Miles Chapel. Do you also have historical information for the church. My mom recently entered Hospice care and I would like more info on the church. I remember attending Sunday School and service with my grandmother and mom in the 1960s. My grandmother had a business in the Hole, as well–Laura’s Place.
    Thanks for your work in this area.

• Tiffany March 23, 2016 at 9:20 am #

Thanks for commenting. Yes, I do have a written history of the church. Please send me an email at tiffany @ blackripley.com (remove the spaces) and I’ll be happy to send it to you. Do you have photos of Laura’s Place or memories? I’ve been trying to find as much info on The Hole as I can.

• Beverly Johnson April 4, 2016 at 5:13 pm #

Hello Jan! So good to see that you still have memories about Miles Chapel and our little hometown. Yes, Miles is gone, but we have many years of memories!! Like Tiffany, I would also love to know more about Mrs. Laura’s Place and the others in the “Hole”! I certainly would appreciate hearing from you . Please email me at bjripley@bellsouth.net. Thanks in advance – Beverly Johnson

• Jan Halliiburton Edwards April 4, 2016 at 7:04 pm #

Oh, Beverly! So wonderful to read a response from you. Today, we laid my mom to rest. I will get with it and reply to Tiffany and you, soon.
        Jan

2. William Carson May 13, 2016 at 9:44 am #

This is really sad. My family history goes all the way back to the establishment of Miles Chapel. However, I’m thankful that I had the opportunity to visit the church and sit where my ancestors once sat.

3. Dorisha Wright November 11, 2016 at 8:34 am #

Thanks for the website!!! Don’t know if you’ve been to Ripley lately, but Miles Chapel’s lot is currently being used as a community garden. The Church still owns the property. It is unclear as to whether or not they will sale or rebuild. But as of June 2016, the land has been used to feed people all over the county. The garden has produced okra, sweet potatoes, purple hull peas, onions, peppers, greens, squash, cucumbers, butter beans, cabbage, broccoli, cantaloupe and watermelon. Again, thanks for this blog! Our history is important!!!!!

• William Carson November 21, 2017 at 9:38 am #

Dorisha, this is great news! Feeding the community is a great and worthy cause for that space.